#24 - Kathryn MacCormack - December 26, 2017 - Raleigh, NC

I photographed my only sibling, my older sister Kathy MacCormack while I was visiting family in Raleigh, North Carolina over the Christmas holiday. My sister was born in Seattle, Washington. My parents lived there for about a year in the mid-1960's.  Later my parents and sister moved to Cleveland, Ohio, Chapel Hill, North Carolina and then finally to Raleigh, North Carolina.

Kathy is 4 years, 6 months, 28 days older than me. In fact, there was only one year (1975-76) that we attended the same school together. We attended the same elementary school and rode the school bus together where she often kept an eye on me and made sure I didn't get hurt or in trouble. After that year our age difference kept us from attending the same school.

After grade school, Kathy attended college Peace College for a couple of years and transferred to NC State University where she earned degrees in biology and education.  She started teaching high school the next fall and has been a high school teacher for 31 years. A few years ago she earned a master degree in education and became National Board Certified for teaching.

I photographed her on a cool (43F) but sunny day about 1/2 mile from our home.  I chose a spot in the woods where I used to make forts and play as a boy. I don't think my sister spent much or any time there, but I thought it was a good location as she teaches biology and it was a tie-in with nature.  The land we were on was once home to J. Cooper Young who bought the property in 1915 and lived in a cabin like home near where we made these photos until 1966. The cabin is long gone. The city of  Raleigh bought the land in 1972 and turned it into a park.   Appropriately we were surrounded by oak trees as Raleigh is known as "The City of Oaks". 






edit