#16A - Forrest MacCormack by Kristian Thacker - July 23, 2017 - Barrackville, West Virginia

When I was setting up the shoot with Kristian he mentioned that he would like to shoot a roll of me with my camera. I thought about it for a second, and thought "what an excellent idea"!  Back in photo school, I did an assignment where I had to find another photographer to make my picture. The professors wanted to emphasize what it feels like to be photographed.  The lesson was so you would, as a photographer, be able to empathize with those possible uncomfortable feelings of sitting in front of the camera and that it would hopefully make one a better photographer. 

Truth be told, I'm not that shy in front of the camera - but we all typically only present what we want the world to see when we are in front of the lens. Most us are very aware (to a point) of what we want to look like in photos and what we are comfortable presenting. Some of us smile, some don't, some of us want to look pretty, smart, intelligent. Some folks just want to look funny.   That is what I love about making photos of people.. "it's like a box of chocolates,  you never know what you are going to get".

Kristian photographed me around his home in Barrackville, West Virginia.  One of the feelings that came up for me was a low level of impatience during the shoot. I didn't share that with Kristian at the time, but just when I thought he would snap the frame.. something would come up like another camera adjustment or light meter reading.  I also was getting bitten by bugs on my ankles as I had sandals on, thus adding to my "impatience". It was also Kristian's first time shooting with that particular camera and at the time I did not know that. He handled it like he had used it before but had gotten a bit rusty - just like I was a few months prior. 

Kristian did a super job photographing me and we work almost identically when photographing folks. - but I carefully observed my feelings during the photography process.   I then realized - oh man!.. this is what it looks and feels like for subjects when I'm constantly metering and adjusting lights.  If the subject is pressed for time or uncomfortable, it might be torture.  I was really excited to be photographed by Kristian, I admire his work greatly. He is talented and has a special skill for capturing captivating images of people and places. I'm grateful for the images and the learning experience we shared. 

I've often heard photographers complain that they are thought of as magicians. That they can be placed in difficult situations and be expected to pull out amazing images from impossible circumstances. It is because of knowledge and experience that photographers might appear to pull a "rabbit out of a hat" in a bad photography situation.  Sometimes success comes simply with hard, tedious work.  

As Kristian says "Sometimes the world just doesn't give you any other options and you do what you can with what you have. Some choices are more obvious to some than others."

Probably the best photographers are in tune with the emotions of their subjects.  The best photographers are aware emotionally and they convey that in their work.






edit