#31 - H. Darr Beiser - April 29, 2018 - Carderock, Maryland

I first noticed Darr's photos in 1996 when I started to freelance for USA Today. I'd often see his byline under his photos and I always wondered if I would ever get to meet him.  It wasn't until 2015 that I finally met Darr at an art gallery opening.

Darr was hired as one of the founding staff  photographers back in 1982 when USA Today was established. He was one of two photographers who established the photo department of the fledgling newspaper. USA Today eventually grew to have well over a dozen staff photographers and photo editors at one point.  Over the decades that he was there, he traveled extensively and photographed quite a few impressive portraits of some well known people. Take a look here. Darr worked there until 2015 (33 years), when the paper underwent massive buyouts and downsizing. He now freelances and does work photography and video work for several clients and political candidates. He also teaches video journalism at the University of Maryland.

Darr and I met close to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal path near his home in Maryland to make these photos.  He spends a lot of time photographing nature and wildlife along the path as a meditative practice.

There are only nine frames from this shoot. As I was moving the camera for the last photo I had my finger on the shutter button and misfired the camera. I got a blurry underexposed image of the ground.








Labels: , , , , , , , ,
edit